I was a good little saver and started a traditional 529 plan for my kids as soon as they were born like all the financial planners out there tell you to do.
My oldest is a junior in college and God willing we should be able to help him graduate with zero student loan debt from the savings we set aside.
Let’s share some facts about the 529 plan we have:
- I lost 15% in the market in 2008…not as bad as my 401k that lost 38%, but to lose anything is rather irritating
- I had to report the savings on our sons FAFSA application (he did NOT qualify for any aid)
- I can ONLY use the money for college expenses
- Had he NOT decided to go to college I would have had to pay the10% penalty on this money if I withdrew
I am grateful we are in a position to save, HOWEVER…I wish I knew then what I know NOW!
There is another fabulous alternative to a 529 plan called an IUL and I wanted to share the benefits with our tribe here at Lisa Williams Co:
- I can NEVER lose in this savings vehicle and in fact will have a GUARANTEED return of at least .75%, even if the market tanks like it did in 2008
- I DO NOT need to report this savings on a FAFSA application
- I can use this money for ANYTHING I want. (I am saving for my kids wedding fund, house fund, retirement fund AND college fund now)
- I am NOT restricted for this money to be used for college only in the event one of my 3 kids decide not to go to college
- I have started a PERMANENT life insurance policy for my kids
- I have started a retirement fund for my kids with the benefit of years earlier compounded interest.
Just like technology has evolved friends, saving for college for our kiddos has evolved. If you’d like to learn more about this and other ways we teach families to own their power over money, schedule time here on Lisa’s calendar!
Join us on our mission “no family left behind” which we are doing by arming families with financial literacy. We host classes every week called “Bringing Wall Street to Main Street” on Saturday at 11am Pst/2pm eat.
This week’s topic: Student Loans Federal and Private and Student Loan Forgiveness!
Let us help you tackle your student loan debt if you are burdened by this
Can’t make it this Saturday but want to be informed about future topics?
Opt-in here to the series:
Please schedule a chat here if I can be of service and blessings to
you in this amazing life journey!
I’d Love to Connect with You!
P.S. If you liked this newsletter and genius from our guest, please share with your community… forward it to a friend who always challenges YOU to grow. I hope you have at least one of those people in your life!
P.S.S. Do you have a desire to create a business of your own but have no clue where to start? Come join us at www.perfectsidegigs.com and explore the amazing world of business building and entrepreneurship. Let us help you discover the person you were MEANT to become!